Undergraduate editing guidelines
Thank you for using our editing service.
Essay-writing sucks if you are exhausted, pressed for time and struggling to find the words to communicate what you want to say.
Our professional editing service for undergraduate students will improve your chances of success because we not only show you how your essay could be improved but also teach you why certain changes will help.
Our suggestions will give you a fresh perspective on your work and the motivation you need to complete and submit your essay on time, with confidence.
What Most Editing Sites Won’t Tell You
When it comes to writing, we each have a number of bad habits – those little quirks that have crept into our writing style without us even realising – which, unfortunately, cause offense to lovers of language convention (that includes your teachers and tutors!)
The main offenders we see are:
- Over-use of punctuation, including brackets (parentheses), commas
- Under-use of punctuation
- Inappropriate use of punctuation, for example, semi-colons used where a colon should be (and vice versa)
- Repeated use of the same word
- Unnecessarily long sentences
- Poor sentence structure
- Excessive capitalisation
- Unclear thesis statement and, therefore, an unclear argument or structure.
Too many people struggle through university hating essay-writing, submitting paper after paper with the same punctuation and grammatical mistakes.
At the Research Den, we prefer to help you recognise your habits and adjust your writing style before you’ve committed months and years to your studies.
If you’re just starting university, or have been at university for a number of years but still have a lot of essays to get through, this is the time to get some feedback on your writing. You’re in the fortunate position of being able to save yourself money, time and the frustration of going through your edited document and accepting the same edits again and again, page after page.
Getting feedback early on is advantageous in the long term as it will improve your writing and most likely result in more inexpensive future edits, if you need them done at all.
In The Research Den editing process, we will do the following:
- Proofread your document for spelling and grammatical errors (punctuation, capitalisation, sentence structure, integrity and variety, parallelism, etc.) while commenting on areas that are unclear or need further development.
- Check the structure, logic or argument/evaluation/analysis against your question or topic. We are not necessarily experts in the field of your essay so these comments will be provided from an editing perspective. They are suggestions only. You are responsible for the integrity of your work and of course, your final mark.
- Check for topic and linking sentences between paragraphs, and a clearly stated main theme (thesis statement).
- Provide a brief, written addendum detailing areas where the paper could be strengthened.
- Check referencing style and the reference list. Obviously we can’t check your facts, but we can check that you conform to the style mandated by your field.
- The Research Den can provide editing suggestions in hard and electronic formats.
- Don’t forget, free email support and advice is always available for members of the Research Den. It’s free to join.
What we don’t do:
- We are not in the business of plagiarism and therefore do not rewrite your original work. We offer practical suggestions for improving poor sentences, word choice, etc. but ultimately the work is yours.
- Obviously, we cannot accept responsibility for your final mark. An editor is just that: an editor.
Essays under 3000 words will be edited and emailed to you 24 to 48 hours after receiving payment from you. The completion and return of larger documents will depend on a number of factors including your deadline, our availability and the level of editing required to meet your needs.
Once you receive your quote, you will be able to pay online. We require payment before we are able to start work on your paper. Your quote will be valid for a stated period of time. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal. If you want to discuss the payment of your account, please Contact Us.
Documents must be in Microsoft Word and will be returned with edits suggested in the ‘track changes’ feature. You will also receive additional comments, suggestions and observations from your editor in a separate PDF document.